Family Inclusion Network (FIN) Queensland (Townsville)
Part 1: The Investigation Stage
Child Safety Services will investigate for two reasons. These are:
1. A ‘notification’ (or report) has been made to the Department.
2. If a child has been harmed, is suffering harm or the family is unable to provide protection for the child then Child Safety Services will investigate and may apply for a court order.
What to do if Child Safety makes first Contact
- 1. Write down the names of everyone involved – the Child Safety Officer, the Team Leader, the Manager as well as their Area Office and telephone numbers.
- Ask for relevant paperwork (e.g. court order / care agreement) if your children have been removed.
- If Child Safety asks you to sign something immediately:
REMEMBER THAT YOU DON’T HAVE TO SIGN ANYTHING AT THAT EXACT TIME.
- Keep all documents that Child Safety gives to you
- Always attend Court! (Even if you are told you are not required to.)
- Buy a diary and record ALL contacts and conversations you have with Child Safety representatives (note what was said by whom, and what was agreed to).
YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO ASK FOR TIME TO THINK.
SEEK LEGAL ADVICE IMMEDIATELY.